Healthy vegan orange cake (Must-try!)

19:43


Pardon for the horrible slicing skills, but today I made a healthy vegan orange cake! Initially I wanted to make a chocolate cake/brownie but I'm getting a lil sick of chocolates since I've been eating so much of it! Especially chocolate cakes and cookies. And chocolate bars.


So I was deciding between orange zest cookies, lemon cake and orange cake. Mum chose orange cake since gramps brought over so many oranges hahah. So I went ahead with baking! 

I personally dislike baking anything that requires complex ingredients. And when I say that I mean ingredients that are usually unheard of. Or ingredients that are hard to find, like vegan butter and cheese. Hence this recipe is pretty simple to follow -- only basic ingredients are used. Of course you can always sub some of the ingredients yourself if you want to -- for example, white sugar instead of organic raw sugar or canola/sunflower oil instead of coconut oil. For me I prefer using the healthiest options because I simply dislike the idea of putting anything unhealthy into the food I prepare (Yes, even if its for someone else haha).


YOU NEED:
  • 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
  • 1 large Orange
  • 3/4 cup Organic raw sugar (Please do not try adding more than 3/4 cup of sugar because this level of sweetness is already just right.)
  • 1/2 cup Coconut oil
  • 1 tsp Baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp Baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Vanilla essence
  • Finely grated orange zest (from the orange used)

LET'S DO IT:
  1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Grease a 8x8 baking pan or use a baking sheet.
  2. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measure 1 cup of orange juice. Make sure that everything is blended. (I used 1/2 cup blended orange juice and 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice that was store bought.)
  3. Grate the orange and measure at least half a cup of orange zest.
  4. Whisk together orange juice, flour, sugar, coconut oil, baking soda, baking powder, orange zest, vanilla essence and salt in a bowl.
  5. Pour batter into the pan.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes. (Be sure to check at about 25 minutes to make sure it doesn't get over-burnt.)
  7. Remove the cake from the tin after 10 minutes and place it on a rack to cool. Allow it to cook for about another 20 minutes or more. 

The cake definitely turned out better than expected. It's light yet moist! I can imagine it being as moist as normal banana cakes. 

Everyone loved it! Yet another successful bake. :)

Enjoy!


Also, if you haven't watched my latest video: What I eat in day #3 - https://youtu.be/8TyiAlbzjqk

Select which post you want to read next by entering the poll on my homepage!

Leave your comment below or a question at my askfm if you have any questions regarding veganism or anything else > ask.fm/cheryyyyllll

With love, Cheryl! 




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hello! That looks like a really easy recipe to make!

    Can I ask how many oranges will I need in order to get half a cup of orange zest? It does seem like a lot of orange zest is required. :)

    Thanks in advance!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe