Thought Catalog: 50 Important Questions To Ask Yourself As 2016 Draws To A Close

20:31


"50 Important Questions To Ask Yourself As 2016 Draws To A Close"



Saw this post on TC and decided to answer these 50 questions below! Feel free to do it for yourself if you're interested. Click here for the link!


1. What made you feel the most alive this year?

- LOVE. And FOOD like bubbletea and yummy vegan food!! 
2. How did you surprise yourself in 2016?
- Probably surviving this year LOL. And also by staying sedentary 99% this whole year wow. 
3. What did you do this year that you regret?
- Don't think I regretted anything I did this year. Afterall, everything comes by as a lesson. 
4. What made you cry the hardest this year?
- I cried so much this year that I don't remember any particular ones I cried the hardest, but I know it would definitely be my problems (especially stress when it comes to studies, university and money) and relationship.
5. Which friends have been there for you the most in 2016?
- Other than my boyfriend and my few close friends I have here (Fathin & Juanny especially), definitely my friends back home: Jorine, Xin yi, Akina, Rachel, Jasmine & Afiqah for the most part and the others who continuously gave me support and reassurance along the way. Including friends I was never close to who dropped me a text on Snapchat or Instagram, and even encouragement from askfm anons. I'm honestly really, really thankful for those who were there for me during my lows. Love y'all. ❤
6. What are you most grateful for as this year draws to a close?

- All the lessons I've learnt, the unending love I received from my family and friends, the encouragement and support I was given and those who stuck by me during all those time.

7. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?

- This time last year I was definitely happier than I am now. Life was pretty rough last year but it mostly got better towards the end in Nov/Dec because it was the period of time I left school, travelled, and found myself again. I was carefree, and maybe at peace with myself then. I had less things to worry about too. 

8. What did you do to take care of yourself this year?

- Making sure that I've ample rest and feeding myself healthy and nutritious food I guess? And also sparing myself some alone time and de-stressing whenever I need to.

9. Where was the best place you traveled to this year?

- Australia I guess, since I spent most of my time here this year. I didn't travel much (only Melbourne, Hatyai and JB) this year. But yes it's a beautiful place still.

10. What did you do for the first time in 2016?

- Experience what living abroad alone feels like, and being away from home. Living a more independent life by learning how to take care of things all by myself. Cooking on a day-to-day basis and yes, also doing laundry for the first time!

11. What did you do for the last time in 2016?

Can't think of anything!

12. Which days from 2016 will you never forget?

- The first time I met my boyfriend, our first phone call as well as those 2-3 hour phone calls at night, days in Springvale, h2h talks with John/Wen/Eddy in Springvale, the time spent in OMSB, road trippin' around Tasmania, a short getaway to Melbourne to find a close friend (Jo) in March, Fathin's birthday, stargazing with a friend and those five days I spent back home in November.

13. What did you accomplish this year that you’re proud of?

- Foundation studies I guess? Not so much of feeling proud though, I guess I'm just relieved that it's over — another milestone achieved! Another chapter just ended so it's time for the next one!

14. Who did you need to forgive this year?

- Myself. I think most of the time I hold a grudge against myself and blame myself for the things that have gone/done wrong. I definitely need time to let them go and forgive myself. 

15. What were you most afraid of this year?

- Disappointment and fear of not living up to people's expectations. And fear of failure as well, and the constant fear/worry of not being good enough.

16. How did life surprise you this year?

- By giving more lemons than I expected. I thought it would be a good and smooth-sailing year for me and I honestly didn't expect anything much could happen this year, but I was proved wrong.

17. How was this year better than 2015?

- I had more freedom but I had bigger responsibilities to handle, so in a sense I guess I learned a lot from this year and grew as a person. I learned the most about myself this year.

18. How was this year worse than 2015?

- I cried way more than I did last year, and that is pretty bad to be honest. I couldn't have my family or close friends physically here with me all the time. I met fewer genuine people and forged lesser friendships. I had to face more responsibilities as well. I travelled lesser too.

19. Who did you miss the most over the past year?

- Maybe the person I was few years ago. Or my parents.

20. What was the most valuable thing you spent money on this year?

- My air tickets back home in November just so I could celebrate my mum's birthday, visit my grandparents and spend time with them for a little bit after my foundation program ended. It was probably something I spent the most on in a single receipt but that trip was worth every cent — I am really glad I did it!

21. What did you waste too much money on this year?

- Foundation studies. HAHA jokes but that was necessary so....): Aside from that perhaps I spent too much on travelling / living expenses here.

22. How did you spend your birthday this year?

- It was a really simple one, just had dinner with few of my close friends at Nandos and that was it. I spent most of the day unpacking my stuffs since I just moved into my new home then. I remembered I also received my first ever Princess Polly parcel and it was my birthday gift to myself :)

23. What was the best book you read in 2016?

- I'm not so much of a book reader and I feel kinda ashamed to say that I've never finished a single book this year hahaha. I shall name the best book I read in 2015 then! It was The China Study (I recommend everyone to read it because it contains a lot of useful information!)

24. What do you wish you’d spent more time doing this year?

- Spending more time with my family & friends or learning new things. It's my first year away from home so naturally I wouldn't be able to spend as much time as them like I used to. Oh and learning new things too, since it would be more productive I guess. 

25. What do you wish you’d spent less time doing?

- Lazing around I guess? I've been lying around the house for more than a month now and it's pretty unproductive. );

26. What made you the angriest in 2016?

- Perhaps when I found out things I didn't want to know.

27. When did you feel the most at peace this year?

- Probably the beginning of the year when I first came to Australia and the period of time I was settling down and making new friends. At that time I barely had anything to stress/worry about; it was mostly about experiencing new things and going all out to try. At that time I wasn't emotionally or physically drained either so I guess that was when I felt the most peaceful this year.

28. What is the biggest risk you took in 2016?

- Coming to UTAS for FSP maybe? Or getting into a relationship!

29. What made you laugh the hardest this year?

- Don't remember when I laughed the hardest but maybe that time in Springvale when I was playing truth or dare with a group of friends and I got dared to rub my nose against Fathin's. It was so awkward and I couldn't stop laughing whenever I got near her face!

30. What ended for you in 2016?

- Hmm, not sure. Maybe finally having a closure after so long.

31. What began for you in 2016?

- A brand new life and chapter. I lived away from home so to me, that was a big change.

32. What song will always remind you of this year?

- Definitely: 7 years by lukas graham, Little things by one direction, Say you won't let go by James arthur, Closer by The Chainsmokers, Dancing on my own by Calcum Scott, Forgetting you by Davichi (currently my favourite!), Beautiful by Crush, No by Alan Walker, Faded by Alan Walker, I took a pill in Ibiza by Mike Posner, This is what you came for by Calvin Harris & Rihanna. :-)

33. How did this year differ from the way you thought it would go?

- Harder than I thought.

34. How would you describe your personal style over the past year?

- If this is referring to fashion style, then terrible. I'd describe it as boring. I don't think I've ever worn so many long sleeved/thick clothes in my life because Tasmania is terribly cold! I've been sticking to basics a whole lot.

35. Who in your life did you look up to the most this year?

- No one in particular I can think of!

36. Which quote best sums up the past year for you?

- Nothing worth having ever comes easy. It takes effort to make things right.

37. Did you fall in love this year?

- Yes I did. :)

38. Did your heart break this year?

- Quite a few times actually.

39. What was your favourite TV show in 2016?

- Probably watched the TV only less than 5 times this year so I'll do dramas instead. FAVOURITE would definitely be Scarlet Hearts! It won my heart and I def miss watching it.

40. Which (if any) new years resolutions did you keep this year?

- I don't think I wrote down any resolutions for this year but I reckon one of the things I wanted to do was to do well for FSP at least. Not that I did extremely well but I think it was okay! Not as good as I wanted but well.

41. Which (if any) new years resolutions will you be making for next year?

- I honestly don't think I'd think of any until 2017 starts. Anyway I'm already dreading next year so there's nothing much I'm looking forward to! ):

42. What disappointed you the most in 2016?

- Can't describe a specific one because I'm not very sure but if there's someone who disappointed me the most, it would be myself.

43. Who did you rely on the most in 2016?

- My mum definitely. She supported me both physically and emotionally (by supporting me financially and also giving me encouragements whenever it came to studies). I love you mum! Don't know what I'd do without you.

44. Who might you owe an apology to at the end of this year?

- Everyone around me, LOL.

45. How did you grow as a person over the past year?

- Honestly I think 2016 taught me a lot and it made me think a lot more about myself more than I did in the past. I think I became more vulnerable (emotionally), probably more sensitive and insecure too. I also feel like I've been more introverted and would rather much prefer keeping things to myself instead of voicing them out all the time. Emotionally, I don't think I grew or became better but because of them I spent more time trying to recollect/find myself or even try to understand myself better. I also often remind myself that I've to love & respect myself because I realised I did not, and that is something I've realised for the first time this year.

46. What made you feel the most stuck this year?

- The decision on whether to take Architecture next year, or to even continue University. I'm stuck between having no passion and giving up everything & taking a big risk to do something else.

47. What made you feel the most inspired this year?

- Honestly this year I felt the least inspired. On most days I just want to sleep in and not wake up to face the world. I didn't even feel the least bit inspired to exercise, which is a big surprise since I was really active last year.

48. If you could go back and give yourself a single piece of advice on the first day of 2016, what would it be?

- It wouldn't be as easy as you think it will be. You need to muster a lot of strength and courage, and be mentally prepared for what's coming.

49. What’s the most important thing you learned this year?

- True love isn't easy and relationships take a lot of mutual effort. When things are meant to be, it will be. You can't love others if you don't love yourself first. Your life is made up of the choices you've made; so choose wisely.

50. What do you hope will be different for you by this time next year?

- That I'll be carefree and at peace with myself. And be happier with the progress I've made. I've a lot more to work on, so I hope by then I'd be able to say that I did it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe